Here are the results for your search on “historical places”.
FRM | Historical Places
Monasteries & Medieval Towns
Our TOP Location
- LM | Limburg (Mediavel city) | Special: Annual Limburg's Flea Market
- OF | Seligenstadt (Medieval town)
- HG | Saalburg (Roman fort)
- Odenwald / Bergstraße | Frankenstein Castle | Special: Annual Halloween festival
Our TOP Event | August
- Wetterau | Bad Vilbel Castle | Burgfestspiele (Theatre festival) | May-Sep
Rheingau | Venue | Eberbach Monastery
In Sean Connery´s Footsteps
The old Cistercian abbey, Eberbach Monastery, is ensconced in the hills at the shore of the Rhine River, close to Wiesbaden. Built in the early 12th century, it is still in miraculously good shape. That surely contributed to its being chosen as a central location for the filming of The Name of the Rose (1986), starring none other than Sean Connery. In the summer, visitors can watch the film on the very site of the original film set. In addition, the decommissioned abbey has been hosting a slew of other extraordinary cultural events such as the renowned classical Rheingau Music Festival as well as arts and crafts shows. And of course, the abbey walls themselves are an attraction, especially for families. Eberbach is also known for its superb wines, being situated in the midst of one of Germany‘s best vinicultural regions.